Welcome to MargueriteLabbe.com

Online home of award-winning M/M author, Marguerite Labbe.

Here you'll find up to date information on new releases, free reads and much more. Follow any of the links above to learn more and feel free to drop me an email or a comment... I love to hear from readers.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer’s Back and the Pool is Open


 Summer is not my favorite season, that would be fall, but ooohhh, I do love the start of summer when it’s not too hot and humid yet.  I love going to my mom’s house, where all the neighbors gather in the driveway under the cypress tree with dueling grills and a stream of little edibles coming out.  If I could find a way to move back onto that court I would.  On one corner is my mother-in-law, in the center is my parents and there are two other families who have been there since the neighborhood was built.  The flower girls at my wedding lived across the street and are now in college and their senior year of high school.

We spent Memorial Day weekend in that court with all the neighbors and half my family.  It was cool enough that we sat outside for hours just talking and catching up, and hot enough that by the end of those hours we were craving to get a little bit of pool time.

I’d hurt my back again several weeks ago, to the point where I couldn’t walk again and I was so frustrated because I’ve been trying to exercise, even if it was just walking.  And I had just gotten to the point where I was pain free again and was walking when it flared up again.  So I kept telling myself, as soon as the pool open you’re going in. 

Memorial Day weekend came and the pool opened and I’m ashamed to say that I was afraid to go.  I was afraid that I would get in the water and I wouldn’t be able to get back out again.  It’s so scary when body parts suddenly don’t work the way you want them to work.  I didn’t want to go and find myself trapped there.

So after sitting out for hours on that hot afternoon, I was more than ready to give it a try and my husband was going with me, so if I did end up worse afterward he could help me out to the car and get me home.  I got to the pool with my husband, son, sister and brother-in-law and the water was so blessedly cool.  Not too cold like it is sometimes when it’s been just filled, just perfectly cool.

I made my way to the lap lane and for 45 minutes, I walked back and forth, did a few laps, and some flutter kicks.  Then sat and soaked and talked to my sister and taught my son how to float and when I started getting cold I headed for the steps.  And again I was afraid.  What would happen when I climbed out of the water and the gravity hit?  Would I hurt again?  Would I have to hobble over to my towel, my hip all hitched up, shoulders askew?

It was sore, but for the first time in over two weeks I was standing straight.  I was able to walk without my back seizing, without spasms, without the muscles on my right side turning to what felt like solid rock.  I’ve been back to the pool several nights since then, doing more laps, increasing my movements.  So yay for summer and the pool being open.  I look forward to having wrinkly pruned hands and feet for many days this summer.

What are your favorite summery things to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment