Welcome to MargueriteLabbe.com

Online home of award-winning M/M author, Marguerite Labbe.

Here you'll find up to date information on new releases, free reads and much more. Follow any of the links above to learn more and feel free to drop me an email or a comment... I love to hear from readers.

Monday, January 30, 2012

January Recap


I cannot freaking believe that the end of January is already here.  At this rate 2012 is going to pass even faster than the previous year.  January was a very crazy month filled with upheaval so I apologize now for not updating more often.  I have scoliosis and starting around the beginning of December the pain got to be constant.  Then a had a few days in the 2nd week of January where I couldn’t even walk, sitting up for the next week was even painful.  Now after several weeks of chiro appointments I’m pain free unless I’m on the bus.  After 90 minutes of bouncing and jostling, even with wearing a brace, I’m usually achy.  I hope that will ease off soon too.  It usually comes and goes in stages and only gets really bad every two years or so.
Then a little over a week ago I had to call an ambulance for my husband.  He’d been sick awhile, recovering from bronchitis and his bounce-back was slower than we’d both wished.  He’d had an appointment with his doctor the next week for a follow up when he came to me with swelling in his legs.  Terrible swelling.  One of them looked like a Lincoln Log.  There was absolutely no definition to his knee or ankle.  Given his past heart history I wasn’t taking any chances.  His blood pressure was ridiculously high, the oxygen level in his blood low and he had congestive heart failure.

They believe now that it was sleep apnea related.  The night he came home from the hospital I didn’t sleep one bit because every time his breathing changed I woke up.  He’s doing a sleep study this week, they’re going to fit him with a machine and set it up at our house.  I could really live my entire life without another scare like that.
All in all, this month hasn’t been very conducive to writing or editing, though I’ve been working on a few projects when I could.  Between the days I couldn’t sit up and the hours waiting at the hospital I managed to catch up on quite a bit of reading though.  Here are the books that really stood out to me.  If I keep picking a book up even after I just set it down, it’s a winner.  Warning, I read all kinds of things, not just m/m.
The Percy Jackson & the Olympians series by Rick Riordan.  My son got all five books for Christmas and they were still on the coffee table when I was stuck on the couch.  I picked up the first one out of boredom and because I was a comparative folklore and mythology major.  I had even taken my son to the movie last summer and thought it was okay.  Knowing that the book is always better than the movie I figured why not give it a shot.  I freaking loved it.  I like how Riordan took myth into today’s age and made it relevant.  And the words flowed so smoothly.  I like it enough that when I finished the first, I picked up the second, then the third and so on until I was done with the entire series.  Then I took the first book to the hospital so my husband could read it.  He rarely reads and now he’s hooked.  Now if I could just get my son to pick them up.  He’s more into scientific books.
The next book that totally blew me away was The Game of Love by Jeanette Murray.  I’ve enjoyed her shorter stories, but after this novel, she’s an absolute must read for me.  I started reading it while in the waiting room at the doctor’s office to get blood drawn.  Normally needles cause me some anxiety but I was so wrapped up in the story that I took it in the labroom with me and continued to read while I let the vampires at me.  Probably the best thing because the tech actually managed to get the vein on the first try.  I can see how some people would have issues with the heroine Chris St. James, especially at the start with her attitude.  But it’s warranted.  The characters were so real to me.  Like people I’ve actually met and become friends with.  And Brett Wallace was downright yummy.  Chris and Brett are both retired pro athletes with a history that makes them distrustful of future relationships.  Chris had been involved with an abusive hockey player and Brett’s wife left him for another pro athlete after he was forced to retire.  I really loved watching them working through their issues and learning to trust again.  The book can be found at Carina Press: http://tinyurl.com/6nad8rl
I read a number of m/m books in January but two really stuck out with me.  The first was Burnt Offerings by Pearl Love.  It’s been already said, but I’ll say it again.  I love myths and old tales and this had the feeling of an old tale.  I loved the descriptive writing even though it was a little repetitious at times.  It was a short read, only 65 pages, but it’s one that I would pick up again and again when I want to get lost in another world.  Plus I’m a fan of unconventional endings.  Alen is a boy who’s been tormented by his unusual beauty, both coveted and hated by his village, he prefers a solitary existence except for his mother and the being that he communes with in his hearth fire.  When he is forced to defend himself and accidentally kills a man, his life is forfeit and he is condemned to die on the altar of a volcano.  If you like myth and fantasy, I recommend it.  It’s available through Dreamspinner Press: http://tinyurl.com/7pn7usk.
The second m/m book that I really enjoyed was Her Two Dads by Ariel Tachna.  I really liked watching Sri and Jaime grow and learn when baby Sophie burst into their lives.  Sri was never expecting to be a father but when his friend Jill died, leaving him as the only parent he tried to do what was best for Sophie.  Jaime is his longtime roommate and close friend.  The relationship that develops between them is based on friendship and slow discovery.  It was such a sweet read.  And I admire Jaime for knowing his limits too and Sri’s insistence on working through his issues to keep them as a family.  And his fears were grounded too.  The emotions that the book evoked were very tangible.  I felt the same helpless fear that Sri did when Child Protective Services showed up to see if Sophie was being abused.  It was a good, sweet story.  It can also be found through Dreamspinner Press: http://tinyurl.com/7hxlzfu.
More updates to come in a few days.  I hope February is a much calmer month.  I’m eyeballing it with a steely glare.

No comments:

Post a Comment