Welcome to MargueriteLabbe.com

Online home of award-winning M/M author, Marguerite Labbe.

Here you'll find up to date information on new releases, free reads and much more. Follow any of the links above to learn more and feel free to drop me an email or a comment... I love to hear from readers.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I'm Sorry For the Long Silence

Wow, I haven’t blogged in eight months. It’s crazy how fast time goes by. I’m sorry I’ve been so quiet. It has been a crazy, crazy year so far. On my way to GRL last October my husband and I stopped by his hometown in Alabama to visit his Grandmother. We were very grateful that we did because she passed a few months later. She was a wonderful gentle spirit and she is greatly missed by all who knew her.

My middle sister gave birth to her first child this March. After a little scare and a little time in the neonatal center Atticus came home. He’s absolutely beautiful and definitely knows his own mind, what he wants and when he wants it. I had the chance to go visit him back in May and there were many songs sung and lots of snuggling from his auntie.

I’ve travelled a lot in the last eight months as well: Birmingham, Alabama twice. Atlanta, Georgia. Hilton Head, South Carolina. Louisville, Kentucky. As well as all the smaller traveling with my husband promoting his comic books at cons, throughout Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. My computer died just before Thanksgiving. It was fading anyway, but dropping it twice out of the car definitely didn’t help, especially since both times it landed on the one unpadded side of the computer bag. There was no way I’d get the money before Christmas. I had presents to get first and a large family :D. They came first, but my awesome parents bought me a new laptop for Christmas. It was a lifesaver.

This has been a time with illnesses too. I came down with a really bad case of a sinus infection and bronchitis that knocked me on my ass for a month. I had been working a lot of overtime at my day job to prepare for a renovation and to set aside some extra money for my son so he could attend a scholar’s program this summer. I think it all caught up with me.

I’ve also been battling back pain for a long time. It all came to a head at the beginning of May. At the start of an eleven hour drive home I began to have severe nerve pain in my right leg. I’m still not sure how the hell I made it home. It’s a trip I never want to have to make again. After I got home I began losing sensation in my leg, by the morning I had no feeling from my hip to my toes. The MRI revealed that I had three herniated, bulging disks and I was sent to the ER then transferred to a neurosurgeon specialist in Washington, DC. The operation was successful. They removed one of the discs as well as some disc fragments that had calcified and were pressing against my sciatic nerve.

It’s been a long recovery. I have physical therapy three times a week. My strength, balance and endurance are coming back. I still don’t have feeling completely back in my leg, but that can take several months. I hadn’t realized how long I’d been carrying around that back pain until it wasn’t there anymore. It used to feel like someone had a hold of the base of my spine and was jiggling it. I had terrible back spasms at times that left me unable to walk. There were times when I walked that my leg would just get tired and I didn’t realize at the time that it was a sign of the nerve compression. I thought it had to do with the scoliosis.

So that’s been the highs and lows of the last eight months. I’m still writing even if it’s taken a couple knocks, but more on that later. 



No comments:

Post a Comment