Welcome to MargueriteLabbe.com

Online home of award-winning M/M author, Marguerite Labbe.

Here you'll find up to date information on new releases, free reads and much more. Follow any of the links above to learn more and feel free to drop me an email or a comment... I love to hear from readers.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Salad Soup


I think I’m one of those rare people who actually enjoys the cold and the snow. (Not to mention I’m a morning person.) I need to have all four seasons. And this winter has been entirely too warm. Until this week I haven’t needed my gloves or my hat and as a consequence, I have no fricken clue where they are. It finally feels like winter. I love the crunch of snow, the squeaky sound it gets when it’s really cold, though that doesn’t happen often in Southern Maryland.


I also love soups. I could eat soup several times a week and it doesn’t get old. And I have a wonderful recipe for a cold winter night. I have no idea what it’s called, my son has dubbed it salad soup. It’s one of those that tastes even better when reheated the next day. So here you go, enjoy. Adjust to taste because I rarely ever measure.

1 sweet onion diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 package hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1 15 ounce can of black beans
1 bag frozen chopped collard greens
Chicken stock

Brown the sausage in the bottom of your stock pot with the chopped garlic and onion, break it up into bite sized chunks as you go. You can use a splash of olive oil if you want, but really the fat from the sausage supplies all the fat you need.

When the sausage is cooked through add the tomato paste and stir about, then the diced tomatoes, black beans and collard greens. I add just enough chicken stock to cover because I like this to be more stew-like. Cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes. I sometimes like to add more garlic, or sprinkle in some rosemary or thyme, but it’s not necessary. I serve it with cornbread and it’s oh so good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment